The Failed Motorization of a Nation
During the 1940s and 1950s the economic system of Spain was focused on establishing an own, national economy, independent from other nations influence. One of the measures was to charge imported goods with differential tariffs. As a result hardly any foreign products could be found in the Iberian market.
In order to offer the Spanish population a cheap means of transportation, the public department in Biskaya issued the license for the production of a compact car. It was granted to the company Construcciones Acorazadas S.A. based in Bilbao. In 1953 they constructed a compact car, which was equipped with one front axle and a centrally arranged dual rear wheel, like the BMW Isetta. Against the access through a front door as with the Isetta, the constructers decided to follow the idea of a conventional car and located one door on each side of the vehicle. The car accommodated enough space for two adults in the front and two children in the back. Later in sale ads they attached importance to this explicit seating capacity because of a limited overhead clearance conditioned by the semispherical rear of the car. The 2,65 meter short car was powered by an air-cooled, 2-cylinder boxer engine – located at the rear wheel – with 15 HP produced by 399 cc. The two-cycle engine was developed and manufactured in-house and factory specifications confirmed a top speed of 78 km/h.
Only in December 1955 the first cars left the plant in Bilbao. Via the sales channels of Finanzauto S.A. 30 selling points were established, where the Triver Rana – also named Tourismo Triver – could be ordered. From the beginning on the inflow of prospective costumers was limited. After selling only 75 pieces in five years, the production was given up in 1960.
More Information: AutoCult.de