This Volkswagen Rabbit, Scirocco, Jetta service manual covers 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, and 1984 models with gasoline engines built on the “A1” platform. This manual includes both the American-made Rabbit and VW Pickup Truck, and the German-made Convertible, Jetta and Scirocco models built for sale in the United States and Canada.
In addition to comprehensive maintenance and repair on the 1.6 and 1.7 liter engines, there’s a wealth of specific information on the bigger GTI 1.8 liter engine (which includes modified fuel injection, a special cylinder head, oversize valves, and much more), the Pickup Truck (which uses a different, leaf spring rear suspension), and the Convertible’s top adjustment. Complete tune-up steps and emission control specifications for the fuel-injected and carbureted engines, including the electronic ignition systems found on many models, help ensure that your car will run at peak performance. There is also a comprehensive body repair section, with detailed body dimensions for the sedan, Cabriolet, Scirocco and Pickup.
Service to Volkswagen owners is of top priority to the Volkswagen organization and has always included the continuing development and introduction of new and expanded services. This manual has been prepared with the Volkswagen owner in mind. The aim throughout has been simplicity, clarity and completeness, with practical explanations, step-by-step procedures and accurate specifications.
- 1.5L with carburetor (engine code: FX)
- 1.6L with fuel injection (engine code: EJ)
- 1.7L with fuel injection (engine code: EN)
- 1.8L with fuel injection (engine code: JH)
Diesel engine coverage: For information on 1980 through 1984 Rabbit, Scirocco and Jetta models with diesel engines, please refer to our Volkswagen Rabbit, Scirocco, Jetta Repair Manual (Diesel Engines): 1977-1984.
- Fundamental automotive concepts, with simple explanations of basic troubleshooting, effective workshop practices and tools.
- Complete tune-up specifications for all models covered – including those with breakerless transistorized ignition systems, plus troubleshooting and repair of the CIS fuel injection system.
- Valve adjustment for the overhead camshaft engine, emission control tests, repairs and vacuum line hook ups.
- Rebuilding disc and drum brakes – including Kelsey-Hayes calipers.
- Repairing the front suspension and the steering gearbox – including complete service and repair of the power steering system.
- Repairing the Pickup Truck’s rear suspension.
- Troubleshooting, replacing or repairing every component of the electrical system – with all the available wiring diagrams from the vehicle manufacturer.
- Adjusting and rebuilding the automatic transmission and the manual transmission.
- Adjusting and repairing the sunroof.
Publishing note: Prior to March 2012, this book was published in a softcover edition (ISBN 978-0-8376-0183-0)